Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Dragonflies and Damselflies in My Backyard

In my backyard there's quite a variety of dragonflies and damselflies I often go outside to look for them.
Here are 2 dragonflies that happened to be on the deck so I quickly grabbed a net and snapped a few pictures of them.


Top and bottom: A male Blue Dasher.



An immature female Great Blue Skimmer.


Top and bottom: I'm not really sure what this damselfly is, but my best guess is an immature female Red Eyed Damselfly. 




UPDATE: 7/4/13

Top and bottom: A male Violet Dancer.



Top and bottom: A Male Fragile Forktail damselfly, they only grow to be 1 inch so most people walk past them without even noticing.

Tiny as they are, they harbor a glimmering green sheen which is hard to see.

Top and bottom: This is an immature male Common Pondhawk, a beautiful contrast from neon green to powder blue.

Top and bottom: I caught another Blue Dasher though this time it's an immature female!


UPDATE: 7/5/13


Top and bottom: This is a female Violet Dancer. Unlike the male it is brown and harder to find in grass. 

Top and bottom: If you look closely you can see little red dots, it is not uncommon to find water mites on damselfly and dragonflies. 

UPDATE: 7/6/13




Top and bottom: It's the first time I've seen one of these female Common Pondhawk, Their apple green is quite striking compared to the normal brownish colored dragonflies that roam around my yard.

UPDATE: 7/8/13


Top and bottom: a female Meadowhawk dragonfly. I used to see them quite often but it seems that they're starting to disappear.

Top and bottom: I often see these female Willow Skimmers flapping their wings lazily like butterflies.

UPDATE: 7/12/13


Top and bottom: This is a male Swamp Darner they're migratory and I often see them outside at dusk. Compared to the other dragonflies this one is giant! The biggest dragonfly I have ever seen.

As you can see, this Swamp Darner is about 4 inches!
A stunning blue enveloped in green.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...