Thursday, December 26, 2013

New Egger! (continuation of Idle Holi-days)

These past days, I've been finding more eggs than usual. . .

The only eggs used to be the tan-ish, tinted, small Mellow eggs.
However, now two chickens also joined the production line, accompanying lonely little Mellow.
First up was the mysterious white egg that appeared on the coop floor a bit cracked and caked with a layer of poop on the 20th of December. The next time a white egg was spotted was on the wet ground of the chicken enclosure.


I've been finding white eggs, especially on the ground.

Who was laying these mysterious white eggs?

Was it Spice?

No, she still hadn't squatted

Charcoal?

Most likely not, her comb was still small and petite sized.

Lime?

A few days ago when I had bent down to pet her, she had squatted for me. . . a possibility, but still there was a better answer.

. . . I was convinced that Lemon had laid the egg

Added to the suspicion were the giant red comb and wattles that Lemon carried. She had the biggest in the coop, Lemon also squatted for me a couple of times.
Finally it was unraveled, and I spotted Lemon one day in the nesting box. She stayed in there for a few minutes and then plopped off the box, there was no egg. Disappointed I walked away from the window. When I returned, a fresh white egg, just beaming lay on the ground. 

So, Lemon was the new egg layer.

Comparison of Mellow's egg (left) and Lemon's second egg (right). Lemon's bright white egg isn't very big, but slowly they will exceed Mellow's.
But a few days later, another egg was found. It was white as expected with a few blood stains. The only possibility was Lime, as she was the only other pullets who would squat for me.

Lemon caught being in the nesting box.
A desolate white egg was the result!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...